Dogs are not allowed on the Birdfair Site.
Birdfair does not allow dogs onto Birdfair property, including all car parking areas. We cannot allow your dog into Birdfair because the Fair takes place on Rutland Water Nature Reserve, which is a SSSI and SPA. Guide and Assistance dogs only are allowed into the Fair.
The RSPCA say:
- Dogs must never be left in a car in warm weather, even with a window open.
- DOGS DIE IN HOT CARS.
On a warm day the temperature inside a car can quickly soar to 120?F/49?C or even higher.
- If an animal left in a car is panting for breath it may be on its way to suffering heatstroke.
- Heatstroke can kill an animal very quickly.
- Leaving windows open or putting a bowl of water in the car does not help.
- Owners who put an animal at risk in this way could face prosecution.
Animal Wefare Act
In April 2007 the Animal Welfare Act 2006 came into force making it an offence for anyone to allow unnecessary suffering to an animal.
Shutting a dog in a car on a warm day can cause it suffering as even a little sun can turn a car into an oven. Dogs’ only sweat glands are on the soles of their feet and up to 90% of their body is covered by hair. Panting and salivating causes them to lose massive amounts of fluid and they dehydrate quickly. On a hot day a dog’s temperature can rise very quickly and they could suffer from heatstroke in just 15 minutes.
Birdfair will not allow suffering to any animals, domestic or wild.
Thank you for your cooperation.